Pro Bono Law Alberta (PBLA) is a nonprofit organization that promotes access to justice in Alberta by creating and promoting opportunities for lawyers to provide pro bono (free) legal services to persons of limited means.
Pro Bono Law Alberta’s Mission:
To improve access to justice by increasing the scope and availability of pro bono legal services for Albertans of limited means. Pro bono legal services are intended to complement, not to replace, a properly funded legal aid system.
PBLA’s Goals and Objectives:
Pro Bono Law Alberta promotes access to the justice system in Alberta by creating and promoting opportunities for lawyers to provide pro bono legal services to persons of limited means. It undertakes activities relating to these specific goals:
1. Create opportunities for Alberta lawyers to discharge their professional responsibilities to provide pro bono legal services.
2. Improve the overall delivery of pro bono legal services by facilitating the integration and co-ordination of services provided by pro bono organizations throughout the province of Alberta.
3. Ensure province-wide access to high-quality pro bono legal services to persons of limited means by:
(i) supporting and improving the quality of existing pro bono programs;
(ii) working with existing pro bono legal clinics to assist them in providing pro bono services; and
(iii) fostering the development of new pro bono programs where needed.
4. Enhance the growth of a pro bono culture within the Alberta bar.
5. Raise general public awareness of pro bono legal services to community organizations and persons of limited means who require legal services.
6. Raise the awareness of Alberta lawyers of the need for pro bono services and of the resources available to lawyers who are prepared to provide pro bono services.
Annual Meetings and Other Events
Each year in June, PBLA holds its Annual General Meeting. The meetings are an ideal opportunity to recognize PBLA accomplishments over the prior year, acknowledge the many volunteers who are engaged in pro bono services all over Alberta, and to thank PBLA Board, Advisory Board members and staff for their contributions to the organization’s success. Visit the PBLA blog to read about past events.
PBLA also participates in and hosts other events throughout the year. Raising the Pro Bono Bar is an annual event that offers new lawyers and articling students an opportunity to learn about pro bono initiatives at various clinics and programs in Alberta. Attendees have an opportunity to network with colleagues, members of the judiciary, managing partners and lawyers who are making the difference in the community.